Thursday, May 10, 2012

Respect


Recently I started noticing the foul language in films, books, music…most media for that matter. One thing that really stood out the most for me though, was the unnecessary and incorrect use, in my eyes, of God. Yes, I am a Christian, and it does upset me when God’s name is used in vain. It might seem so conservative and boring and predictable and old-school of a Christian to say that, but honestly, how would you feel if people used your name disrespectfully? Sure, it may be the norm to use God's name like that (and it might even not be disrespectful in your eyes), but is it really necessary to throw it around like any other word? Because that draws the line for me: It just isn’t any other word. I’m sure people of other religions [and convictions] will not be so happy if others use their god(s)’s name in vain. But then a lot of people don’t realize what the “OmG” phrase implies, or they just don’t care. All I’m asking for is respect. Just like it is expected that we respect the gods or heads of other religions, at least show respect for the God I believe in.
What really puts me off too is that a lot of Christian films are not as professional and entertaining as I would wish them to be (but I do realize how hard it is to make a film), and other mainstream movies insult God, so the options on my menu are limited. I don’t think I can wait until I make my own films one day, and I’m not even sure they’ll be nearly as good as I want them to be. What then can I do to make a change? Well, I’ll pray for satisfactory Christian films, and intelligent films that aren’t derogatory of my faith.  The rest is an open road, and my spiritual/moral GPS will guide me further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to comment? Feel free! Gotta tell you though, all comments are moderated, so you may have to wait a day or so before they appear. :)